Poker players around the world are shifting to real money online poker in the wake of the Coronavirus pandemic. Players in the US have also moved online and operators are stepping up with new events and tournament series.
This weekly guide offers players all the action to expect this week and where they can play legal online poker.
Where can you play online poker?
American online players have a few options to get in the action. The markets are still small in comparison to large international poker markets.
However, there have been some positive signs of growth in recent months. There are four states currently offering legalized online poker.
- PokerStars NJ – The largest online poker operator in world offers plenty of cash game and tournament action in New Jersey. New players depositing $20 receive $30 in free cash and $10 worth of Spin & Go tickets.
- partypoker/BorgataPoker – Partypoker is one of the best-known online brands around the world. New partypoker players get a free $25 via $10 in poker money, $10 in casino chips, and $5 in poker tournament tickets. Those using the BorgataPoker skin can earn $10 in cash with a $10 bonus.
- WSOP.com/888poker – Players on the World Series of Poker-affiliated site have the option of a shared liquidity pool with Nevada and Delaware. Players can qualify for WSOP events in Las Vegas and circuit tournaments. The site is run on software by 888poker, which also operates in the state. WSOP offers new players a free $10. 888poker offers $20 in free play and up to a $1,500 deposit bonus.
- WSOP.com – This site offers players plenty of cash game and tournament action with a shared liquidity market with WSOP.com and 888poker in New Jersey and Delaware.
- PokerStars PA – New players at PokerStars PA can claim a $30 free play bonus and up to $600 match bonus. PokerStars also partners with FOX Bet in the state for sports betting. Players utilizing the FOX Bet’s new player offer will earn a free $20 for signing up that can be used for poker or sports betting.
- Doverdowns.com, Delawarepark.com, Harringtonraceway.com – These offer online poker in Delaware, however, it’s run through 888poker. The platform has a shared liquidity market with New Jersey and Nevada.
Those in other states have more limited options when it comes to online poker. Sweepstakes poker sites offer players a chance to play for cash and prizes.
As a bonus, players receive Sweeps Coins – which can be used in tournaments and ring games. Unlike Gold Coins, Sweeps Coins can be redeemed for cash prizes. New players can earn a free $20 Sweeps Coin package with a verified account.
Big tournament series continue, more action added daily
With many major tournament events now canceled or postponed because of the Coronavirus pandemic, there is even more action online for players.
Here’s a look at some of those poker festivals, events, and additions available to American players.
Last chance for March Mayhem Big 50 qualifier
The Big 50 event promises to be another massive event at theWorld Series of Poker this summer. The $55 March Mayhem tournaments feature a guarantee of $50,000 plus an added Big 50 seat to first place.
This Sunday, March 29, becomes the last event in the series. Every player entering at least two tournaments receives a ticket into a Big 50 Seat Freeroll.
The freeroll guarantees five Big 50 seats and is a great opportunity for players in Nevada and New Jersey.
WSOP Online Super Series continues this week with gold rings on the line
After postponing and canceling several events, WSOP.com hopes to fill some of that live poker void. The website recently announced its Online Super Series – offering 18 WSOP Circuit rings awarded in 18 days. That includes a total of $1 million guaranteed.
The series is highlighted by a $525 Main Event with $200,000 guaranteed.
Players in New Jersey, Nevada, and Delaware can get in on the action via WSOP.com and 888poker from March 14-31. Here’s a look at the remaining events on the schedule.
|Mar. 30||4 PM||17||$300||NLH||Knockout||--||$30,000|
|Mar. 31||4 PM||18||$1,000||NLH||Grand Finale HR||2x||$75,000|
WSOP.com adds to daily schedule
Players in Nevada and New Jersey received some welcome news March 17. WSOP.com added to its daily tournament schedule to meet player demand.
|Daily||1 p.m.||$215||8-max Deepstack NLHE||$10,000|
|Daily||8 p.m.||$30||Turbo Deepstack NLHE||$10,000|
|Thursday||8:30 p.m.||$1,000||Turbo NLHE||$20,000|
PokerStars PA and NJ
SCOOP Series still in the works for April
As noted by Online Poker Report, PokerStars was moving to launch the Spring Championship of Online Poker (SCOOP) soon. No dates have been finalized yet, but the series is expected to start April 4 in New Jersey and Pennsylvania – pending regulatory approval.
This will be the first SCOOP in Pennsylvania and feature a $2 million guarantee. The New Jersey version is expected to come with a $1.2 million guarantee. That’s an increase of $200,000 from last year.
A complete schedule of both events will be added here once it’s available.
To claim an exclusive $30 in free play and a new player bonus up to $600 in either NJ or PA, click the links below:
PartyPoker plans big spring events for NJ players
As more events come online during the age of social distancing, New Jersey players are in luck.
That’s not all. The Spring Poker Open will also run online April 5-12. The series will feature tournaments with buy-ins ranging from $5 to $1,060. Some highlights include:
- $400 Main Event – $100,000 Guaranteed
- $1,060 High Roller – $75,000 Guaranteed
A full schedule has yet to be released yet, but USPoker will post it once it’s announced.
New nightly tournaments continue with $25,000 guarantee
BorgataPoker in New Jersey this week announced the launch of a new nightly $25,000 Guaranteed Phased Tournament. Players can enter an unlimited number of Day 1 flights and then play their best stack on Day 2.
The buy-in is $55 for a 10,000-chip starting stack with 10-minute levels. Starting flights are played every Monday through Friday at 6 p.m. with late registration until Level 17. Day 2 plays out on Saturdays at 6 p.m.
For a complete BorgataPoker review including an exclusive $20 new player signup bonus and up to a $600 deposit bonus, click here.
Tournament schedule grows with added daily events
This popular site continues recently to add to its weekly tournament schedule. After beefing up its weekend schedule, Global has now added several evening events.
These events include some nice five-figure guarantees and include:
- Monday Melee – SC15,000 Guaranteed [2X Entries]
- Tuesday Tussle – SC25,000 Guaranteed [Deep]
- Wednesday Wipeout – SC15,000 Guaranteed [Big Ante]
- Thursday Throttle – SC15,000 Guaranteed [Turbo]
- Friday Flash – SC15,000 Guaranteed [6-Max, Turbo]
- Saturday Swift – SC15,000 Guaranteed [Ante Up, Turbo]
- Sunday Six – SC15,000 Guaranteed [6-Max, Deep]
The site has also ramped up its daily offerings including its new “NightCap” series for night time players. Here’s a look at the complete slate of new dailies:
|Deep Eleven SC6,000 Guaranteed [Deep]||SC11||6 p.m.|
|Deep Six Dive SC8,500 Guaranteed [6-Max, Deep]||SC55||6:45 p.m.|
|The Brawl SC15,000 Guaranteed [Rebuy]||SC5.50||8:00 p.m.|
|Triple Threat SC20,000 Guaranteed [2R1A]||SC33||8:30 p.m.|
|Deep Freeze SC10,000 Guaranteed [Deep]||SC55||10 p.m.|
|The Cubed SC5,000 Guaranteed [1R1A]||SC11||11 p.m.|
|NightCap SC3,000 Guaranteed [Hyper-Turbo]||SC21.40||Midnight|
|Night Shift SC2,000 Guaranteed [Big Ante, Turbo]||SC22||12:30 p.m.|
|Night Owl SC2,000 Guaranteed [6-Max, Hyper-Turbo]||SC21.40||1 a.m.|
|Night Out SC1,500 Guaranteed [Hyper-Turbo]||SC21.40||1:30 a.m.|
More Sunday, Saturday action highlights Global Poker weekends
While no tournament series has been announced yet, Global recently introduced a beefed-up weekend schedule. The new SC22 Sunday Spotzz tournaments have become so popular that Global has upped the guarantee.
Global announced last week there will be a SC15,000 guarantee in the deepstack events. These tournaments run every Sunday at 4:15 p.m. ET with a 60-minute late registration period. Here’s a look at the satellite schedule:
- SC2.20 (Turbo), 3:05 p.m. ET – 10 seats guaranteed
- SC5.50 (Turbo), 3:20 p.m. ET – 8 seats guaranteed
- SC2.20 (Hyper Turbo), 4:10 p.m. ET – 8 seats guaranteed
The social poker site also recently added to its Saturday schedule of events. That includes two more deepstack events to join the weekly Swish tournament.
Saturday events have a 60-minute late registration period. Here’s a look at the three Saturday majors:
- SC11 Saturday Slam (Deepstack), 3 p.m. ET – SC3,000 guaranteed
- SC22 Saturday Slash (Deepstack), 4:15 p.m. ET – SC6,000 guaranteed
- SC55 Saturday Swish (Deepstack), 5:30 p.m. ET – SC12,000 guaranteed
Multiple satellites will be run earlier in the day each Saturday for players to win a seat. Satellites run for as low as SC 2.20 and here’s the schedule:
- SC2.20 (Turbo), 2:20 p.m. ET – 12 seats guaranteed
- SC3.21 (Hyper Turbo), 2:50 p.m. ET – 10 seats guaranteed
- SC3.30 (Turbo), 3:20 p.m. ET – 8 seats guaranteed
- SC5.30 (Hyper Turbo), 4:05 p.m. ET – 10 seats guaranteed
For a complete Global Poker review including an exclusive new player bonus up to $1,000, click here.
Big freerolls planned at sweepstakes poker site
The sweepstakes poker site of the WPT offers players a chance to play for $100,000 in cash and prizes each month. Players simply pay a monthly fee for a chance to win with this sweepstakes poker model.
The site even allows players to qualify for live WPT events. The tour made some news in 2020 by offering a $1 million bonus for any player who qualifies and then wins that same event.
WPT talent like Vince Van Patten, Tony Dunst, Lynn Gilmartin, and Matt Savage also play on the site. Here’s a look at some upcoming events:
- $3,000 Saturday Freeroll (March 28) – This event is open to all members and no tournament points are required.
- $5,000 New Member Freeroll (May 16) – This event is open to any active VIP member who signed up between March 13 and Apr 30. There is no buy-in or any tournament points required for entry.
*** Those playing online poker outside the US can find a complete list of online poker sites and events by clicking here. ***