The third iteration of the American Poker Awards will take place next month in Beverly Hills, California. A select group of 85 or so people made up of players, media and representatives from the poker industry are no tasked with coming up with four finalists in a number of APA categories.
As in past years, there will be a poker conference in the afternoon followed by a cocktail reception and sit-down dinner before the APA’s, which are sponsored by PokerStars.
The winners we already know
We already know who a few of the winners will be, as several categories are based on Global Poker Index player rankings from 2016:
- GPI Player of the Year – David Peters
- GPI Female Player of the year – Cate Hall
- 2016 GPI World Series of Poker Player of the Year – Jason Mercier
Other awards are narrowed down by the nomination panel before being voted on by a handpicked jury. Still other awards are solely at the discretion of the jury.
Last year’s jury was composed of: Alex Dreyfus, Eric Danis, Donnie Peters, Brad Willis, Craig Lumpp, Faraz Jaka, Lance Bradley, Maria Ho, and Scott Ball.
The 2014 APA jury was composed of: Alex Dreyfus, Eric Danis, Donnie Peters, John Caldwell, Jen Mastrud, Moshin Charania, Kathy Raymond, and Adam Small.
A look at the 2017 APA categories
Here are the awards for 2017
In addition to the Player of the Year awards, there are nine returning categories:
- Breakout Performance of the Year: The Breakout category is for a player who won their first major tournament in 2016.
- Industry Person of the Year: This category celebrates tournament directors and industry people.
- Media Content of the Year: This category is for a specific piece of content, which could be, among other things, a column, a picture, a podcast, or a twitch stream.
- Media Person of the Year: With the addition of podcast and streamer of the year (more on this below) the Media Person of the Year category is for writers and reporters.
- Moment of the Year: The Moment of the Year category is for an event that captured the poker community’s attention.
- Tournament Performance of the Year: The Tournament Performance of the Year celebrates a big, historic victory.
- Charitable Initiative of the Year: This category will not go through the nomination process. The APA’s will select a group of deserving charitable initiatives and chooser a winner on the night of the APA’s.
- Lifetime Achievement: The APA Jury will choose recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Jury Prize: As the named suggests, the jury selects the winner of the Jury Prize (last year it was Kevin Mathers).
There are also six new categories:
- Event of the Year: Similar to the Tournament Moment of the Year, the Event of the Year is designed to reward a moment from 2016 that left an indelible imprint on poker.
- Mid-Major Circuit of the Year: This category is meant for the smaller events and poker tours that are the lifeblood of the poker tournament scene.
- Twitch Streamer of the Year: A breakaway from the media category, the Streamer of the Year category will reward the best Twitch stream from 2016. This could conceivably be a one-time event or a person’s channel. The APA jury will determine the finalists and winner in this category.
- Podcast of the Year: Another breakaway media category, Podcast of the Year is for the people who week after week put out poker-related content.
- PocketFives Legacy Award: The P5’s Legacy Award will go to “an online poker legend who has also made significant contributions on the live tournament circuit.”
- Hendon Mob Award: The Hendon Mob Award will go to the player who accumulated the most results on the poker tournament circuit in 2016.
Previous APA winners
Winners list from the 2015 American Poker Awards
- Media Person Of The Year: Donnie Peters, Editor-In-Chief, Pokernews.Com
- Tournament Performance Of The Year: Anthony Zinno, WPT L.A. Poker Classic
- Moment Of The Year: Daniel Negreanu Busts 11th In WSOP Main Event
- Breakout Performance Of The Year: Joshua Beckley
- Event Of The Year (Buy-In Up To $2,000): WSOP Colossus, Rio All-Suites Hotel And Casino, Las Vegas
- Event Of The Year (Buy-In Over $2,000): WPT Seminole Hard Rock Poker Showdown, Hollywood, Fl
- Industry Person Of The Year: Matt Savage, TDA Founder, WPT Executive Director
- Charitable Initiative Of The Year: Charity Series Of Poker, Matt Stout
- Poker Presenter Of The Year: Kara Scott
- Poker Innovation Or Initiative Of The Year: WSOP Online Bracelet Event
- Media Content Of The Year: Joe Giron’s Elimination Photo Of Daniel Negreanu In WSOP Main Event
- Jury Award: Kevin “Kevmath” Mathers
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Mike Sexton
- 2015 GPI Player Of The Year: Byron Kaverman
- 2015 GPI Female Player Of The Year: Kelly Minkin
Winners list from the 2014 American Poker Awards
- Poker’s Best Ambassador: Daniel Negreanu
- Breakout Player Of The Year: Brandon Shack-Harris
- Industry Person Of The Year: WPT President Adam Pliska
- Media Person Of The Year: Online Poker Report’s Chris Grove
- Tournament Performance Of The Year: Mark Newhouse In WSOP Main Event
- Media Content Of The Year: Brad Willis For PokerStars Blog’s “WSOP 2014: Stages / Never Stop Fighting”
- Event Of The Year (Buy-In Over $2,000): World Series Of Poker Main Event
- Event Of The Year (Buy-In Under $2,000): WSOP Monster Stack
- Charitable Initiative Of The Year: “All In” For Kids Poker Tournament Presented By Chop & WPT Foundation
- Innovation Of The Year: Twitch For Live Streaming Poker
- Lifetime Achievement Award: World Poker Tour Founder Steve Lipscomb
- GPI Player Of The Year: Dan Colman
- GPI Female Player Of The Year: Vanessa Selbst